Majority of fire mishaps are preventable. By adhering to the strict guidelines of Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, any responsible individual can keep a workplace and other commercial buildings safe from a probable fire break out. In England, every year approximately £60 million is spent behind rescue services caused by fire. Fire prevention is one of the major attributes of fire departments. The objective is to educate commoners to prevent a probable fire mishap.
But before we start, we should be aware of the three elements that cause a fire to explode:
- Any source of ignition like electrical equipments, cigarettes, match-sticks, heaters, naked flames and lighting
- Fuel- paper, wood, waste materials, packaging materials, wooden furniture, plastic, rubber and foam
- Oxygen- widespread everywhere
The person entrusted with fire risk assessment of an office or a commercial/public complex, should be quite responsible at the foremost. A fire safety knowledgeable person should first locate the factors that might cause a probable ignition and maintain fire safety measures. He/she should maintain an advanced fire risk evaluation system and execute adequate measures to lessen the damage caused by a sudden fire explosion. Few essential guidelines to follow fire safety:
- Do not forget to test smoke detectors and fire alarms every month: these devices make the occupants aware of a possible fire. It should have a loud and distinct sound easily perceptible.
- Maintain an escape plan: Routes – the emergency escape routes should be well implemented and it should be accessible at any time without any obstruction. A substitute way should also be there. Protection – these routes and alternative ways should be out and out fire protected with emergency fire doors. These escape routes should provide a safe assemblage for people. Also highlight the escape routes and emergency fire exits with lights and signs for people to recognize readily.
- Carry out fire risk assessment responsibly. These essential steps make your fire risk assessment complete: Firstly, recognize the factors that might cause a fire mishap and in this context what might burn. Secondly, identify the people at maximum risk. Thirdly, execute emergency getaways and minimize threat. Fourthly, do maintain a documentation of the risks and the measures implemented. Have a clear action plan for fire protection and make others aware what they need to do in an outbreak without panicking.
- Analyze your evaluation on a frequent basis. Make sure that the assessment keeps a track of all the changes implemented.
- Keep frequent fire extinguishers. You should be aware that there are three types of extinguishers. Water, dry powder or foam and carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. Water fire extinguisher extinguishes the fire on wood, cloth and paper. Dry powder or foam extinguisher puts out the fire on combustible liquids. Carbon dioxide extinguisher douses the fire on electrical stuffs.
All of the measures mentioned above should be secure, unfailing, efficient and effectual for immediate use. By following few of these essential key points, one can safeguard a possible fire hazard and can preserve loss of lives and property as well.